Scholarships at Fairholme
The Bob Balsillie Memorial Senior School Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded to a single girl each year, entering Year 10 for the duration of 3 years. Candidates must sit the ACER exam.
Bob Balsillie Memorial Scholarship details:
The late Mr Bob Balsillie was a dedicated and accomplished music teacher and much loved staff member of the College from 1991 to 2001.
This scholarship has been established by the Board of Directors to be awarded to a student entering Year 10 until Year 12 (3 years’ duration), to foster their special musical ability.
The scholarship recognises Bob Baillie’s significant leadership of the music program at Fairholme College.
The scholarship, which is awarded subject to audition, interview and the results of the ACER (Australian Council for Educational Research) scholarship exam, covers:
- 50% off tuition;
- Private Music lessons in auditioned instrument to the value of $2000 per annum;
- The cost of the annual music camp (instrumental or choral);
- The cost of associated sheet music (up to a value of $200 per annum);
- The cost of examinations (for the instrument/voice that the student was awarded the scholarship);
- Student will study Music and Music Extension subjects for the three year period.
The awardee of this scholarship will be required to perform at events as required by the Head of The Arts or Performance Music, participate in elective music, music extension and various College ensembles and maintain a high level of application in all subjects.
Short-listed applicants will be asked to audition at the College on the day before the ACER scholarship exam. Applicants should have reached Grade 5 AMEB or equivalent in their chosen instrument. For audition, applicants will be asked to perform 2 contrasting pieces with a total duration of 6 to 8 minutes. Aural ability, sight reading, sight singing and general knowledge of their chosen pieces will also be tested. A short interview with the Principal of the College will directly follow the audition. Applicants should provide their own accompanist. Should this be difficult due to distance, please contact the College
Application for this scholarship is a 2 step process:
- On-line registration for the annual ACER scholarship exam (See Scholarship Overview) and
- Submission of the Music Scholarship Application Form (350KB PDF) along with copies of evidence of the most recent and/or highest level of musical achievement in the chosen instrument and most recent school report.
Also, you may register your interest in future scholarships ›
The value and duration of all scholarships is at the discretion of the Board of Directors and all scholarships are a percentage of tuition only. The school requires that all applicants and their families support the College’s mission and ethos in full.
The College reserves the right not to offer a scholarship or scholarships at a particular Year level or within a specific category. When the scholarship is offered to the successful applicant it is a requirement that all of the usual enrolment fees are to be paid in full.
For further information please contact the Enrolments Officer, Mrs Emily Veal via 07 4688 4688 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Eligible applicants are those who:
- Are aligned with, and supportive of the College values;
- Fulfil the specifications outlined within the individual Music Scholarships.
Note: In reaching decisions, consideration is given to those students who, due to financial reasons, would not otherwise be able to benefit from a Fairholme education.